Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Guest Author: Guy Portman

Hello Everyone.  I am an author, blogger and keen Twitter observer.  My latest book, Necropolis (released last week), is a humorous work of dark Fiction about a sociopath, who works for the Burials and Cemeteries department in his local council. It is a satirical black comedy with a fast-paced plot. 

Necropolis is aimed at fans of the Transgressive genre, and/or those who appreciate black comedy and erudite satire.  If you don’t identify yourself with any of the aforementioned then Necropolis is probably not for you.  Some people may call me delusional, but it is my firm belief that Necropolis will one day be regarded as a cult classic. 

As for me, I started writing some years back now.  My first book, Charles Middleworth, is a humorous tale of the unexpected about an Actuary named Adrian.  Charles Middleworth was well received, and this alongside my new found enthusiasm for writing, and desire to satirise elements of modern society, particularly political correctness and bureaucracy, inspired me to write Necropolis.      

My writing has been influenced by a number of iconic Transgressive authors, including Bret Easton Ellis, Chuck Palahniuk, Hunter S. Thompson, Charles Bukowski, in addition to the Russian born Vladimir Nabokov (Lolita), and Scotland’s own Irvine Welsh.

Prior to my writing career I studied theology at university, before embarking on a career of sorts that has entailed short stints in the sports industry, teaching English, and working in the public sector.  When I am not writing or reading Fiction I am an enthusiastic blogger and keen observer of the Twittersphere.  I have written posts on my blog about all that is good, bad and ugly on Twitter, including detailed studies of the various species that inhabit the Twittersphere, how authors use Twitter, and much more besides. 

This is the blurb for Necropolis:


Dyson Devereux works in the Burials and Cemeteries department in his local council.  Dyson is intelligent, incisive and informed.  He is also a sociopath.  Dyson’s contempt for the bureaucracy and banality of his workplace provides ample refuge for his mordant wit.  But the prevalence of Essex Cherubs adorning the headstones of Newton New Cemetery is starting to get on his nerves.
  
When an opportunity presents itself will Dyson seize his chance and find freedom, or is his destiny to be a life of toil in Burials and Cemeteries? 

Brutal, bleak and darkly comical, Necropolis is a savage indictment of the politically correct, health and safety obsessed world in which we live.  

‘Not only a funny, twisted, erudite satire on the psychopath 
genre, this novel also boasts a compelling plot and 
finely sculpted characters’

‘A black comedy of true distinction’

‘I was at once fascinated and disturbed by the devious Dyson Devereux with his malicious pedantry, wicked schemes and grotesque 
good taste.  A barbed joy’





Necropolis 

Author: Guy Portman
Kindle & Paperback
Print Length: 303 pages
Publisher: CreateSpace
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
Amazon.co.uk / Amazon.com

For more information, visit: www.guyportman.com
Twitter: @GuyPortman

1 comments:

Matthew Selwyn said...

Great post. I can definitely understand why you say the Necropolis could be a cult classic - it has that sort of feel to it doesn't it?

My review: Necropolis by Guy Portman

Related Posts with Thumbnails