Thursday, September 29, 2016

Book Review: The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead



The Glittering Court 
by Richelle Mead



Paperback
Publisher: Razorbill (March 28, 2017)

Kindle Edition
File Size: 2095 KB
Print Length: 403 pages
Publisher: Razorbill (April 5, 2016)
Publication Date: April 5, 2016
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC

Ratings: ★ ★  

My thoughts: 

*Sigh, deep sigh* This just didn't work for me. When the first 10 chapters were released last year, it seemed so good. I liked everyone and really thought this would be the best RM book after Succubus and VA. When this came out .... after re-reading the initial chapters, it suddenly felt meh. I was constantly bored, I struggled understanding the 'new' world / society RM created. I don't even get why the main character would runaway from an arrange marriage only to go to a court known for arrange marriages! Hmm, I just realized I don't remember the main character's real name. Yikes! If you are buying because it's RM's, sorry I wouldn't recommend this. Give it a pass.

About the book:

Big and sweeping, spanning from the refined palaces of Osfrid to the gold dust and untamed forests of Adoria, The Glittering Court tells the story of Adelaide, an Osfridian countess who poses as her servant to escape an arranged marriage and start a new life in Adoria, the New World. But to do that, she must join the Glittering Court.

Both a school and a business venture, the Glittering Court is designed to transform impoverished girls into upper-class ladies who appear destined for powerful and wealthy marriages in the New World. Adelaide naturally excels in her training, and even makes a few friends: the fiery former laundress Tamsin and the beautiful Sirminican refugee Mira. She manages to keep her true identity hidden from all but one: the intriguing Cedric Thorn, son of the wealthy proprietor of the Glittering Court.

When Adelaide discovers that Cedric is hiding a dangerous secret of his own, together they hatch a scheme to make the best of Adelaide’s deception. Complications soon arise—first as they cross the treacherous seas from Osfrid to Adoria, and then when Adelaide catches the attention of a powerful governor.

But no complication will prove quite as daunting as the potent attraction simmering between Adelaide and Cedric. An attraction that, if acted on, would scandalize the Glittering Court and make them both outcasts in wild, vastly uncharted lands… 

2 comments:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Bummer. I am hearing not so happy things about this one. Still going to give it a try even though it's apparently a fantasy read without any fantasy. I have so many doubts but it's Richelle Mead and I do enjoy her books for the most part. Nice honest review!

Bookingly Yours said...

Hi Jessica! I love Mead's earlier books and makes me sad that I didn't connect with any of the characters here. Yeah, I also wondered why it's labeled as fantasy.. Thanks for dropping by... ;) Happy weekend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails