Thursday, June 16, 2016

Book Review: Born of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon



Born of Night 
The League, Book 1
by Sherrilyn Kenyon


Mass Market Paperback: 560 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Paperbacks; First Printing edition (September 29, 2009)

Kindle Edition
File Size: 1332 KB
Print Length: 562 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Paperbacks (September 23, 2009)
Publication Date: September 29, 2009
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC

Ratings: ★ ★    

My thoughts:

This is my first from the author and I'm disappointed. The world building is well-written the first few chapters with intriguing characters. 

My excitement flew out the window as soon as the characters talk. The assassins talk and think like teenagers and I find some dialogue cheesy:
"Three minutes?" Syn growled. "I hate you, I really really hate you".
Syn, one of the toughest assassins, uses the word hate. I don't think assassins would say that to anyone.  Also, I was annoyed with the heroine's constant use of the word 'girl': 
"He's an assasin, girl. You know they're not right in the head. None of them."
"Oh my God, girl! He is the hottest thing on two legs."

Girl? This is not the kind of word one would use in a planet, full of savage people and assassins. Who uses that word on Earth? Kids, teens, and adults trying to look cute! 

The skillful world-building ended after the assassins went planet-hopping. I started flipping back the pages to constantly remind myself of their current location.  The hero is a broken man, I get it but there's too much angst, it eventually bored me. I actually saw this through the end thinking it would get better but it didn't. I don't even remember anything now aside from my written notes. 


About the book:

In the Ichidian Universe, The League and their ruthless assassins rule all. Expertly trained and highly valued, the League Assassins are the backbone of the government. But not even the League is immune to corruption . . .

Command Assassin Nykyrian Quikiades once turned his back on the League―and has been hunted by them ever since. Though many have tried, none can kill him or stop him from completing his current mission: to protect Kiara Zamir, a woman whose father's political alliance has made her a target.

As her world becomes even deadlier, Kiara must entrust her life to the same kind of beast who once killed her mother and left her for dead. Old enemies and new threaten them both and the only way they can survive is to overcome their suspicions and learn to trust in the very ones who threaten them the most: each other. 

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails