Saturday, June 19, 2010

Movie Review: Clash of the Titans [2010]




Clash of the Titans

Director:
Stars: Sam Worthington
             Gemma Arterton
             Mads Mikkelsen
             Alexa Davalos
            Ralph Fiennes

Ratings:

★ ★ ★

My thoughts:

I heard the original was better than the remake but since I have yet to watch the original one, this review is book vs 2010 movie.

Okay first up - the special effects are really good, same with the actors, acting was pretty good. If you have not read the book. you'd say it was an awesome movie. yes I have to agree with that. But since I have read Perseus' story, here's what I have to say.

What I was not happy about was the story line of this movie. They changed the whole story. Now if you are a big fan of Greek mythology like me, you'd be confused on this movie. I don't wanna give away the whole thing, I'll make a separate one - the difference of the book and the 2010 movie. Let's just say that in the book, it was all about Perseus life with his mother Danae (which by the way never died but in the movie, when they opened the chest, she's already dead) and his love for Andromeda. In this one Perseus was not in love with Andromeda and it was all about revenge to the gods and to his father Zeus. In my book - Io was not even mentioned in the story. Did Hermes and Athena appear in the movie? I saw a sandal or was that a shoe? In the book Hermes gave Perseus a winged sandals.

Like what others are saying who have read the book, it was such a disappointment. Any highschool student would be confused on this one. And my 3rd year HS teacher would not be so happy with this! I remember, she got me hooked on Greek Mythology. I can't believe she remembers all the names and she's never confused with them. Well my favorite story in Edith Hamilton's book was the Trojan war (in the movie Troy). I'd like to do a review on that one too one of these days.

Okay, going back to Clash of the Titans, overall - it's just a 3-star for me.

One last thing before I forgot - i don't understand why the title of the movie is Clash of the Titans? Uhm if I remember it right, Zeus and Hades are Olympians. They were called Olympians because their home is Olympus and Titans were the fathers of the Olympians. So I guess I have to research the reason for that . . .


About the movie:


The ultimate struggle for power pits men against kings and kings against gods. But the war between the gods themselves could destroy the world. Born of a god but raised as a man, Perseus is helpless to save his family from Hades, vengeful god of the underworld. With nothing left to lose, Perseus volunteers to lead a dangerous mission to defeat Hades before he can seize power from Zeus and unleash hell on earth. Leading a daring band of warriors, Perseus sets off on a perilous journey deep into forbidden worlds. Battling unholy demons and fearsome beasts, he will only survive if he can accept his power as a god, defy his fate and create his own destiny.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails