Friday, July 30, 2010

Movie Review: The Lovely Bones


The Lovely Bones



Director: Peter Jackson
Stars: Rachel Weisz
             Mark Wahlberg
             Saoirse Ronan


Ratings:

★ ★ ★


My thoughts:

A movie based on a novel by Alice Sebold, directed by Peter Jackson. 

This is a story of a young girl who was murdered by his neighbor and watches her family and friends from "in between heaven and earth".

Casting is great, Mark Wahlberg and Rachel Weisz. They're great in portraying the role of the murdered girl's mom and dad. And yeah, Saorise Ronan is perfect for Susie's role. I cannot see other girl acting as Susie in this film.

The visual effects are also great. Peter Jackson created a somewhat wonderful idea of "in between heaven and earth". A place that looks like a perfect piece of painting. 

And while everything is great, casting, acting and visuals, I think Mr. Jackson forgot to focus on the story. I have not read the book so I don't really know what happened in the book but in the movie, the story went on how Susie's family and friends wept on her death, and then after a while, moved on. In some parts, the movie dragged on and on. I was expecting something BIG to happen but nothing really major happened in this movie. And again, I was not satisfied with the ending. It's like after watching the whole movie, sat for almost 2 hours and then nothing. "Is that it?"

Lastly, since the title is Lovely bones, may I ask where are the lovely bones?!?! It was funny because I even asked my husband that question. I might have missed it and up until now I don't know why it's called The Lovely Bones.

About the book:

When we first meet 14-year-old Susie Salmon, she is already in Heaven. This was before milk carton photos and public service announcements, she tells us; back in 1973, when Susie mysteriously disappeared, people still believed these things didn't happen. In the sweet, untroubled voice of a precocious teenage girl, Susie relates the awful events of her death and her own adjustment to the strange new place she finds herself. It looks a lot like her school playground, with the good kind of swing sets. With love, longing, and a growing understanding, Susie watches her family as they cope with their grief, her father embarks on a search for the killer, her sister undertakes a feat of amazing daring, her little brother builds a fort in her honor and begin the difficult process of healing. In the hands of a brilliant novelist, this story of seemingly unbearable tragedy is transformed into a suspenseful and touching story about family, memory, love, Heaven, and living. - Goodreads

11 comments:

Crazybookworm said...

Great Review! I wasn't thrilled with this movie, I read the book first and the story line in the movie focused to much on the "In between" then the actual story of the family. I know what you mean with the ending, in the book and the movie I was left disappointed. Nice blog you have hear by the way.

The Crazy Bookworm
www.crazy-bookworm.blogspot.com

nymfaux said...

Hi!!!!! I'm a new follower--Just found you through the blogger hop!!! Looks like a fun blog :) I like books and movies too!!!--I saw some of the Lovely Bones at a drive in theater, and decided to finish watching something else--I totally agree with your review--I did read the book, too, and I just remember with both the movie and the book thinking they weren't worth all the hype.--As for the title, in the movie, don't they find her bones in a trunk the guy brings to the dump?--I think it's more supposed to be the IDEA of her remains being precious, because she was such a young girl--It's definitely and IDEA kind of book... Anyway, great blog!!!! Happy Friday!!!!

nymfaux
http://nymfaux.blogspot.com/

Bookingly Yours said...

hey thanks Ms. Crazy bookworm - yeah it wasn't really that good. i can't really put my finger on what was wrong in the movie because it was great at first but dragged on after Susie's death...

hi nymfaux! i just found this Friday Blog hopping and tried it and it was fun! thanks guys for following me and am now following you both!! great blogs!!

as for the bones, in the movie they never found Susie's body. Mr. Harvey threw her body (locked in the safe) in the sink hole. . .

i guess i have to read the book sometime. . .

Jenny said...

Just popping in via the blog hop to say hi! I'm a HUGE Vampire Academy fan, and can't wait for Last Sacrifice! Glad to have found your blog, I look forward to following you:)

Christine said...

Hi!
I´m hopping by from the blog hop! So glad I´ve found your blog, I´m definetly following you now!
I´m so excited about the VA release! I love Richelle Mead!

Have a great weekend!

Christine

nymfaux said...

:) sorry--my bad--like I said, I was watching it between other movies at the drive-in--I'm a huge movie buff, but I just couldn't get into any of the movies that night and was flipping channels a lot. ;)

nymfaux said...

Hi Jenai!!!!

Guess what!??!!?!?? I won the Versatile Blogger Award, and now I'm giving it to YOU!!!!! I'm really excited about your blog!!!!--I love your reading selection :) And I think you have some really good reviews!!!!--So you totally deserve it!!! :) To pick up the award, you can click on my link and grab it--all the instructions are there!!!

http://nymfaux.blogspot.com/2010/08/versatile-blogger-award.html


Congrats!!!

(\__/)nymfaux

Ladytink_534 said...

I haven't read this book so I never got around to seeing the movie. I do remember the trailers for it though and it looked like a pretty movie but I was worried that too much time had been spent on visual effects and not enough on story.

Bookingly Yours said...

yeah Ladythink - the director focused on everything except the story.

nymfaux said...

ditto @iamjenai!!! I remember hearing something about how he wanted his 13 year old daughter to be able to see it, which is why he glossed over some stuff--totally missing the point that the girl in the movie/book is the same age as his daughter was!!!

noral said...

like the book! but yet to watch the movie...

Related Posts with Thumbnails