Saturday, April 23, 2016

Recommended Read : The Boots My Mother Gave Me by Brooklyn James




The Boots My Mother Gave Me 
(Audio Book)
by Brooklyn James 



Amazon 5-star rating - 64%

About the book:

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to walk through life in someone else's shoes?

Strong-willed tomboy Harley LeBeau puts you in the boots her mother gave her, as she takes you along her journey of escape from an abusive childhood and the desire to find herself as she comes of age. Made to feel a burden to her father simply by her gender, Harley is determined to prove her worth and independence, leaving the small town she grew up in and the one boy who gave her a soft place to fall, Jeremiah Johnson.


Torn between saving herself and abandoning her mother and younger sister, Harley chooses her own life in hopes they will choose theirs, too. A mature, candid read for everyone. A must for women. The Boots My Mother Gave Me explores the dynamics of abuse and dysfunction, the courage to overcome, the strength in sisterhood, and the ongoing conflict and unconditional love between mothers and daughters.


Climb into Charlene the Chevelle for a fast-paced story about a girl who is tough enough to survive and tender enough to learn to trust in love.


Book Review originally posted in November 2014

This book tells the almost always painful and sometimes happy life journey of a woman named Harley LeBeau. She came from a dysfunctional family which mainly caused by her alcoholic father. She wanted to escape this life sooo bad she went away (after high school graduation) to find happiness and peace of mind she never got at home.

Oh... this is my first audio book that I truly enjoyed, I love the author's voice! Wish she could narrate all my favorite books, surely, I'd buy them all ;) This has a soundtrack which I think is cool, unique for an audio book. It was soooo nice to hear someone singing songs while "reading" but sometimes it could be distracting. Not that bad, just a little bit weird. The story telling and dialogue felt authentic. You know that feeling you get carried away with it...found myself talking to Harley like a friend... like she was just on the phone LOL

One character I soooo want to be my latest *wink* book boyfriend is Jeremiah Johnson, a.k.a. Miah/Big Johnson. He's Harley's best friend, her first friend, first kiss, the first in everything. Even after miles away, years not seeing each other, they still maintain that best friend, not so romantic relationship. I got so many issues with Harley about Miah, if she's my friend in a real world, I think she'd be in a hospital now. I like Harley, a lot,  but when it comes to Miah, ohhh I hate her. *long sigh*

As you can see below, I've just labelled the book my "all-time-favorite", means this is highly recommended! Try this one, you won't be disappointed.

Listen to one of the author's songs HERE


Purchase your copy

3 comments:

Alyssa Nelson said...

This sounds like it'd be a wonderful mother-daughter read along, or a book club book or something. Thanks for sharing!

Jenai said...

Yeah! Great story! Thanks for dropping by. . .

Jenai said...

Yeah! Great story! Thanks for dropping by. . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails