Sunday, May 29, 2011

Movie Review: Skyline


SKYLINE

Director: Greg Strause Colin Strause
Stars: Eric Balfour
           Donald Faison
           Britanny Daniel
           Scottie Thompson

Ratings:
★ 

My thoughts:

I enjoyed the first half of the film and was confused when the fighting began and was extremely irritated with the ending. No plot, no story and horrible dialogue. There's only one thing I enjoyed in this film. Seeing Britanny Daniel who played Jessica Wakefield in SVH TV series was great! What a timing because I've been wanting to buy a copy of SVH 10 years later.

Anyway, back to the movie, the aliens are taking anyone they see for no reason at all. The movie was played in the entire building and these people could not get out because they will be consumed by the alien, well their brains actually. I thought there was going to be an explanation at some point but there was none. And then when the movie ends, I was like... uhmm... one stupid ending!

Bad bad idea to watch this movie.

About the movie:

Skyline, an effects-laden thriller from directors Colin and Greg Strause, wears its various influences--films like Alien, District 9, Independence Day, and War of the Worlds--on its sleeve, but even if it doesn't measure up to those predecessors, the film offers enough thrills and action to keep sci-fi fans interested. The Brothers Strause, as they call themselves, have done visual-effects work on blockbusters like Avatar, Titanic, and 300, and the effects are by far the best part of this tale (scripted by Joshua Cordes and Liam O'Donnell) about an armada of giant spaceships that suddenly appear in the skies over Los Angeles and immediately set about their business--namely, shooting down immense blue columns of light that hoover every human in sight up into the ships, where aliens will do nasty things to them. Observing this horror from a posh Marina Del Rey penthouse are a group of gorgeous, strikingly solipsistic young people in skimpy clothes, including Jarrod and Elaine (Eric Balfour and Scottie Thompson), a couple visiting from New York. A few action sequences find them trying to escape (bad idea, as the mother ships disgorge an endless supply of smaller, tentacled craft and troops of gross, city-stomping monsters to seek and destroy any luckless fool they encounter). But for the most part they huddle inside, watching the action, screaming hysterically, and uttering dialogue that's either cliché ridden ("What are those things?" "Does it even matter?!") or merely inane (mid-attack, Elaine, who's just learned that she's pregnant, complains when someone lights up a cigarette; you'd think she'd have more pressing concerns). And therein lies the problem, as some cool images and jolting moments are mitigated by Skyline's lame script and below-average acting. --Sam Graham (Amazon)

2 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Hmm, I've yet to read/hear anything really good about this film - I think the best review I've read claimed it was ok, hardly a good recommendation is it?

Bryon said...

I didn’t see this film in the theater nor did I ever see a preview or know it was in the theater. I found out it only grossed 56K which is dismal at best considering the budget was way more than that. The special effects were believable and I sincerely was afraid someone would die, which they did. At least it wasn’t predictable. I looked at all of the movies at Blockbuster and I had already seen them or didn’t want to see them. Ever since I got my free 3 month membership with my DISH Network employee account http://goo.gl/wuMrN I have been struggling to find good movies. People don’t seem to be trying as hard these days.

Related Posts with Thumbnails