Monday, November 12, 2012

Book Review: Like A Suicide by John J. Archer

Like A Suicide


Author: John J. Archer
File Size: 410 KB (Kindle Edition)
Print Length: 269 pages
Publisher: Nazarite Limited Publishing (September 29, 2012)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
Language: English
Amazon Link


Note: I received a review copy of this book free from John J. Archer. The review posted below is based on my personal thoughts while reading the book.

Ratings: ★ ★ ★ ★ 


My thoughts:


Like A Suicide started out slow. Describing the killer's profile is not much of a story for me. I thought it was overly done for my taste. I was also bothered by the goriness and violence of the scenes depicted in the story so I had to stop reading from time to time.

The third or fourth time I picked up this book, I thought I had it all figured out. Well, I was wrong. The twists in the story surely enticed me to continue reading. Every chapter read is giving me doubts on who the real killer is. The last part of the book made sense. Now I understand why the author had to write much on the killer's life as it is - well, needed to grasp the whole psycho thing. The only problem I had in this book was the investigator handling the case. I believe Detective Sweeny failed to cover everything and that one thing (sorry - spoiler!) is very important to solving this case. So I'm not buying that part with Detective Sweeny.

Overall, the author is definitely skillful at wielding a great psychological thriller story.  It was beautifully written, even found myself doing a lot of research after reading this book. I look forward to reading more from this author, John J. Archer.

Note: The review might seem vague to you my dear readers because each time I try to write something about the story, it always ends up with spoilers so I had to re-write everything and make a "general" review.

About the book


"Like A Suicide" is a psychological thriller/suspense about 'Wraith' who is a serial killer. He believes proper order can only be brought about in the world via chaos. Most of his kills make sense in that way. It just happens that this time someone has the nerve to bring chaos into his world by stealing money from him. 

After tracking down the perpetrator James and confronting him Wraith concludes that he is either a genius or an idiot after the man denies knowing anything about the stolen money in a convincing manner. 

Wraith concludes James must die but decides to take his time and find out if this is the guy that might provide the challenging kill he has been looking for all along. He has to do all this with Detective Sweeney, the local superstar detective hot on his trail.

As he gets ready to go for the kill Wraith can sense that something is wrong. It's just that this time this kill seems 'Like A Suicide', which makes it much more difficult than previous kills.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails